Do I need to pay my the leasing company accelerated rent for the time that they would not otherwise manage/own the property.

Houston, TX |

I recently moved out of an apartment that I was renting early. I was told that I need only pay the market rate for two months and then a reletting fee of 85%. I payed the rent and reletting and was on my way. Two months later I received an email stating that I owed all the rent for the remainder of the period that I would have rented plus the reletting fee. I argued with the creditors and management company to lower the amount to the time that the apartment was unoccupied and drop the previously paid reletting fee (~3500 to 1461). Part of the hassle with having them agree to this is they sold the property shortly after I vacated. My concern is that I shouldn't have to pay the old company for the time that they did not own the building.

You need to consult with a Landlord Tenant attorney to give you advice on what your options may be. Do it now before they get a judgment against you. You may have some recourse or defense from your post.

Good luck!

My response herein is an attempt to give you general information and direction and is not intended to constitute an attorney-client relationship as perceived by state law.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant