Do I need to pay for H1B fee for myself?

Asked over 1 year ago - Alpharetta, GA

Hi,
I approached a person to process my H1B. He asked me send all my documents like education certificates/work experience etc. He also informed me that there will be a fee of USD 2500. I sent the documents but after a week I changed my mind and informed the person that I'm no more interested and requested to ignore my application. He is saying that he has already started the process and I need to pay him USD 500 towards lawyer fee and education evaluation. I did not sign any document other than sending my documents. Should I pay him the money he is demanding even though I'm not interested in H1B processing with him any more? He is threatening me that he will go legally and if I don't pay by due date I need to pay for legal expenses and also 15 USD per day of late fee. Please advice. James

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . it is illegal you for and the "person" to file an H1B. Only employer can do that.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . The way you'd want to proceed with this is entirely up to you. Of that person were to file a legal action against you in small claims court, he would be entitled to compensation for time already spent on your case, which will be easily documentable.

3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

2

Answered . Employer is required to pay all USCIS H-1B filing fee, so an employer cannot require you to refund those.