Do I need to pay fees for a vehicle that was towed if I don't want it back? $1600 is excessive. lawsuit ramifications?

Tustin, CA |

towed 2011, vehicle worth < $500

Your question is not clear. Who is charging you the fees. If you had the car financed you would still have to pay those fees even if you no longer own the car.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at

This is a question that can be answered with a few more facts. First, yes you can be sued.

Do you own the car or does a bank or GMAC Bank or Toyota Financial Corp., i.e.? Who owned it in 2011? Was it paid off in 2011? Did you continue making payments after it was towed? If so, for how long? Were you given an option to abandon it earlier? If so, when? Why did you not abandon it then? What were the fees owed then?

you could forfeit the vehicle and let it be sold at a lien sale.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets