Do I need to pay a full months rent if I was given a "pay or quit" notice and decided to quit?

I was given a pay or quit notice and was wondering what happens if I chose quit. My one year lease has been over for 3 months now and I am currently on a month to month basis. If I chose to quit can I get a pro rate charge for the months that I was on the premise or does everything have to be paid in full. I also gave my thirty day notice on the 20th of last month and my landlord said I'm responsible for the full month of February, is he correct?

Los Angeles, CA -

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Real Estate Attorney - San Marino, CA

If you "quit" within the 3 days, you will only owe rent from the time period up through the date you move out. Most likely if you were served with a 3 day notice to pay rent or quit, you owe back rent, so all of that back rent must be paid. However, you would not owe future rent after you move out.

Stephen Ross Cohen

Stephen Ross Cohen

Real Estate Attorney - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Frank, you are a friggen Genius

Malosack Berjis

Malosack Berjis

Personal Injury Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

I agree with Mr. Cohen.