Do I need to open up a case and file a parenting plan if my son's father and I were never married?

Asked 11 months ago - Clermont, FL

We have two boys (ages 4 and 5). We have no co-parenting issues. We are both on the birth certificates. We filled out a parenting plan and got it notarized. There are no custody issues or disagreements, no child support issues. We have never had a court case or filed anything with a court. Everything has been agreed upon mutually. We do have a parenting plan that we filled out to give to the children's school. I was told that the parenting plan can't be filed as a stand alone without a court case (custody, divorce, establishing paternity, etc.) since we have no issues or need to file an actual court case is the parenting plan we have still considered legally binding or do we need to proceed with filing some sort of case to make it legal?

1. William Charles Rosenfelt

4

Answered . This case is a perfect example of the "good deal exemption." As long as there are no problems, then it's a good deal and you've saved money that would otherwise have been spent on attorneys. However, if an when something goes wrong, and it will, you have make sure that you are ready for that contingency. This is where you really need an attorney to help guide you through the process. Good luck!

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando)

2. Carin Manders Constantine

3

Answered . You must go through the Court. Good luck.

3. Betty Elaine Jones

3

Answered . You need to file a Petition for Paternity and a Stipulation and Agreement along with the parenting plan that the two of you have agreed upon. Otherwise, the parenting plan you have agreed upon is not enforceable. If the two of you were never married, he currently has no rights under the law. If you are in agreement and you already have a parenting plan, you should be able to do it yourself. It will only cost you the filing fees. Good Luck.

Sincerely,
    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

4. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

3

Answered . The parenting plan is not enforceable without a court action and a final order ratifying it by the court. I would recommend you file the appropriate action, or hire an attorney to assist you in the process. If all is uncontested then it should not be too costly or time consuming.

Ophelia Bernal-Mora
    Orlando Family Law Attorney
    407-354-5223
    [Free Consultations to Avvo Users]