DO I need to notify the court?

New Baden, IL |

I have plans to relocate out of state with my child. I do have permission from my ex husband to relocate with our son. Do I still need to go through the court to do so? We agree to visitation with the child and will sign a consent form that will be notarized and filed with the court. Do we need to have a judge approve this relocation? Our divorce papers state that I the custodial parent can not move out of state without the written consent of the non custodial parent (the Father).

The court will not accept a filing of a notarized agreement. It will however accept an agreed order. Have a lawyer draw one up and enter it in court. It should be simple, quick and fairly inexpensive.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

I really found this helpful. Thank You very much

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

You are very welcome!

go through the court to do so

Would we need a lawyer? Who would we need to contact?

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

Contact a lawyer to draft the agreed order and get it entered fr you. There are plenty of lawyers here on Avvo.com. Press the Tab above.

Thank You

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

You are welcome!

A notarized agreement is not sufficient for the court. An agreed order is. Speak to a lawyer about drafting such a document for you. File a motion in order to get before the judge, present the Agreed Order, and you are done.

Thank you this was very helpful.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

You are welcome.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody