Do I need to notify current or potential future tenants of my commercial property of any hazardous waste contamination?

Asked over 1 year ago - Everett, WA

I received a phase 2 environmental study that may indicate contamination via PCE from a dry cleaning tenant, though it is not conclusive. I know that I may have a requirement to inform the department of ecology, but I am wondering what I need to disclose to my current and future tenants, as I am seeking new tenants for some vacancies.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Kinnon William Williams


    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . First, I assume that you hired the engineering firm that conducted the phase II. If not you should immediately retain an environmental engineering firm to represent you. If you have in fact hired a firm, you first need to explore your options and get clearer on what the exposure is. The engineering firm will have its own obligations to report the findings but you need to be educated on what the levels are and if they need to be cleaned up. Clean up requirements differ depending on the type of property involved - industrial, commercial or residential.
    I am also assuming you would be leasing space not land so this may not be much of an issue but you really need to know more. My suggestion is that you work with a good environmental engineer and attorney.

Related Topics


The term property refers to things a person can own or possess. There are two types: real property (real estate) and personal property (everything else).

Andrew Ben Boyer


On behalf of Andrew Boyer PC posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 Any divorce has the potential to be a massively complicated affair. Many Illinois couples spend months in court arguing... more

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,709 answers this week

2,761 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,709 answers this week

2,761 attorneys answering