Do I need to maintain my F1 visa status?

Asked over 2 years ago - New Port Richey, FL

Hi everyone, I am an International student in the US for 4 years. I have been married to a green card holder for one and a half year. We did apply I-130 and got approved about six months ago. I know it will be long for us to file I-485. Luckily, my husband was eligible for Naturalization 2 months ago, and he just passed the test this morning. Right now, he is waiting for the Oath Ceremony and then he will upgrade me to an Immediate relative. My question is: Do I need to register for classes next semester? The reason I'm asking this because the tuition fee for international student is really expensive for us since we have been started a family life and we need to save some money for our plan in the future.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I recommend you try to maintain your status until your green card is granted. Petitioners sometimes get laid off and lose the financial ability to sponsor relatives, co-sponsors withdraw, unpredictable government delays occur. Any of these events could cause your case to be denied and being out of status severely limits your ability to apply for other immigration benefits.

    Also, even though finances may be tight you should retain an experienced attorney to handle your adjustment.

  2. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is always best to maintain status.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Congratulations!! You no longer need to bother with maintaining your F-1 visa status.

    Hopefully you will immediately file for AOS (the I-485 package) now that your husband is becoming a USC.

    For spouses of USCs applying for AOS, it makes no difference whatsoever whether they are in status or out of status, and if out of status, for how long. All USCIS cares about is to see that it's a real marriage, and that the foreign national beneficiary was lawfully admitted to the US (again, it doesn't matter when and in what status.)

    Congratulations again!

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,045 answers this week

3,687 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,045 answers this week

3,687 attorneys answering