Do I need to maintain my F1 visa status?

Asked almost 2 years ago - New Port Richey, FL

Hi everyone, I am an International student in the US for 4 years. I have been married to a green card holder for one and a half year. We did apply I-130 and got approved about six months ago. I know it will be long for us to file I-485. Luckily, my husband was eligible for Naturalization 2 months ago, and he just passed the test this morning. Right now, he is waiting for the Oath Ceremony and then he will upgrade me to an Immediate relative. My question is: Do I need to register for classes next semester? The reason I'm asking this because the tuition fee for international student is really expensive for us since we have been started a family life and we need to save some money for our plan in the future.

1. Wendy Renee Whitt

3

Answered . I recommend you try to maintain your status until your green card is granted. Petitioners sometimes get laid off and lose the financial ability to sponsor relatives, co-sponsors withdraw, unpredictable government delays occur. Any of these events could cause your case to be denied and being out of status severely limits your ability to apply for other immigration benefits.

Also, even though finances may be tight you should retain an experienced attorney to handle your adjustment.

2. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . It is always best to maintain status.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . Congratulations!! You no longer need to bother with maintaining your F-1 visa status.

Hopefully you will immediately file for AOS (the I-485 package) now that your husband is becoming a USC.

For spouses of USCs applying for AOS, it makes no difference whatsoever whether they are in status or out of status, and if out of status, for how long. All USCIS cares about is to see that it's a real marriage, and that the foreign national beneficiary was lawfully admitted to the US (again, it doesn't matter when and in what status.)

Congratulations again!