Do I need to leave the country or can I stay while a new employer sponsors my H1b visa?

Asked 8 months ago - Washington, DC

Dear,
I was working as a legal consultant for a consultancy firm based in D.C. I was laid off back in October. The Company told me that they are willing to wait a couple of weeks before they report it to the labor department and UCIS to give me sometime and find a new job (notice sent by Mid November). As you are aware, to find a job in the law profession is quiet difficult. I have an employer that is willing to sponsor my H1b now. Is it advisable to leave the country and get a new visa stamp (risk of being denied re-entry) or stay in the US while the new sponsor is being processed?
Thanks

1. Anu Gupta

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . If you have been out of status for less than 180 days, you will need to go to your home country to get the visa stamped. I strongly suggest you leave before the 180 day period.

The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.
  2. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

2

1

Answered . You might not want to post online that you are in violation of the law. You would be well advised to speak with an attorney experienced in H-1B matters in a private consultation.

3. Guerline Ladouceur-Laurore

Pro

1

Answered . Whether you have to go home or not will depend on how long you have been out of status. Good luck.