Skip to main content

Do I need to leave the country?

Houston, TX |

My U.S. citizen husband will be filing a petition for me to get a green card and I do not fall under 245i. I have heard I will be asked to finish the process in my country of origin; mexico. Is this true? Is there any way around this since I am planning to be in school? Also, is there a good houston attorney you recommend for this

Attorney Answers 3


Consider waiting for the provisional waiver changes to take effect. You need to monitor these changes. Also, have you considered Deferred Action in the meantime?

Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Dallas, TX

Mark as helpful


It depends on whether or not you entered the US legally.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful


How did you enter the country? There is a new law that might allow you to obtain the waiver while you are in US. The fact pattern you provided is not enough to answer your question. hire a lawyer to assist you. Good luck!

Mark as helpful


Inara Khashmati

Inara Khashmati


correction: new law is not in effect yet, but hopefully will be soon!



What new law is that if i may ask?

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics