Skip to main content

Do I need to inform USCIS that my lawyer no longer represents me?

Bronx, NY |

My lawyer finally admitted that he did not file my I-130 so I am going to file it myself. However he had already sent his letter to them stating he's representing me. Now that I am no longer using his services I feel that I should inform USCIS. Do I send them a notarized letter?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    You can notify USCIS by calling or including a letter with your filing so that paperwork is mailed to you, not your former attorney. I suggest you hire a competent immigration attorney always, however.

  2. He doesn't send a letter. He sends a G-28. If he didn't file any paperwork then he shouldn't have sent a G-28..

    My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney before taking any action. My office offers free consultations.

  3. Assuming he sent notification that he was representing you (which would be odd if he never filed anything), you can send a cover letter with your petition telling CIS that you are representing yourself and to mail all correspondence to you. .

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics