Do I need to include 410K and life insurance policy amounts in a chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

I am filing Pro Se for my chapter 7 bankruptcy and need to know if I need to include the account balance in my 401K, if so does this go under section 12 in Schedule B, if not where does this information go? Also, do i need to include my life insurance policy?

1. Deborah F Bowinski

13

Answered . Yes, you must list ALL your assets. And then you must properly claim the exemptions for what you own in order to protect it from the trustee and your creditors.

2. Stephen Clark Harkess

Pro

10

1

Answered . You need to list ALL your debts and ALL your assets. This is the first question the Chapter 7 Trustee is going to ask you and you must be able to truthfully state that you did.

All property that is not real estate (houses, land, etc) is listed on Schedule B. This includes life insurance policies that have a cash surrender value. If you want to keep the property you also need to list the appropriate exemption on Schedule C. If it is not exempt then the Chapter 7 Trustee will take the property and use it to satisfy your debts.

3. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

10

Best Answer

Answered . Yes, include your information on line 12 in schedule B. If you have a whole life insurance policy with cash value, you must disclose that too. If you have any other type of insurance, disclose it. Better to err in the side of full disclosure than to omit an item. Best of luck

4. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

10

Answered . If you were thinking you could get away with lying on listing any asset in your bankruptcy, think again. Or better still, find a competent bankruptcy attorney to do your thinking for you.

Going into bankruptcy is like going into an audit with the IRS. The bankruptcy court is part of the US Justice Department & is a sister agency to the FBI. There is very little that even a cursory review about you on the government databases won't reveal, from where you have bank accounts to property you own overseas, to what you have covered on your homeowners insurance policy.

Hope this perspective helps!

5. E Dwight Taylor

6

Answered . It is a serious mistake to file bankruptcy without competent counsel. Do yourself a favor and find a good lawyer to heip with this.

6. Marc Gregory Wagman

4

Answered . Hiring an attorney is advisable and very wise. It is like doing brain surgery on yourself even if you are a doctor. If a mistake is made it sometimes cannot be undone if it is serious. Hiring a competent attorney will protect you and your assets. All assets and liabilities must be listed and fully disclosed. If you don't exempt the property the trustee can also liquidate it to pay creditors.