Do I need to hire my own lawyer or give to the insurance company

Asked almost 5 years ago - Cleveland, OH

I was recently in a car accident which involved someone else driving my car due to me losing a contact...The weather conditions were horrible but since the driver of my car lost control to avoid hitting someone else he was considered at fault not me..he had his own insurance my car full coverage now i am receiving papers that i am being sued. Oh there were no injuries to any of the motorist and my insurance company has since fixed my car minus my $500 deductible

1. Eugene Ray Critchett

Answered . Your insurance contract may require you to give them notice of the claim and if so, I would recommend doing so immediately. Failure to cooperate and/or adhere to the provisions of your policy may give your insurance carrier the right to deny coverage which would leave your friend and possibly you liable for damages.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Give notice immediately to your insurance company and your insurer will assign defense counsel as your attorney.

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding.

3. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . If you are being sued you must tell your insurance company immedeately. they will represent you and if you do not tell them right away you will risk losing the insurance coverage for the accident.

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author only and the fact that he has worked as an Assistant District Attorney; State Supreme Court Clerk; Special Assistant United States Attorney (Hawaii); Assistant Cornell University Counsel or Judge Advocate, United States Marine Corps should not be relied upon to assume that these statements reflect the policy of these organizations.