Skip to main content

Do I need to hire an immigration attorney?

City Of Industry, CA |

Hello. I have filed and I-130 to bring my wife and 1year old son from El Salvador. My son and wife were born in El Salvador. Do I need to file a separate I-130 for him or is it ok if I only file one I-130 for both?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. I already answered this question for you on the past. The answer is still the same, if you a USC, you meed to report his birth to the consulate and collect his passport. Wife still needs i130

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  2. It depends. You should contact an immigration attorney to discuss the details of your situation.

    DISCLAIMER: The information appearing here is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to provide legal advice to any individual or entity. We urge you to contact us at (310) 988-5092 or or consult with your own legal advisor before taking any action based on information appearing here.

  3. You will need to file one (1) I-130 for each your wife and son, even if you are a US citizen now.

    You can only "transmit " citizenship on a minor child if you lived in the US at least five (5) years, two (2) of which MUST have been prior to you reaching age 15. Failing that you'll need to file fr the kid's green card (I-130 followed by immigrant visa petition, just like for your wife.

    The only difference being that for your son you'll file a n N-600 Certificate of Citizenship as soon as he'll be admitted here on an LPR (green card) status.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. What is your own immigration status? Green card holder or U.S. citizen?

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics