Do I need to hire an attorney to file for AOS through marriage? Everything else being normal, How do I pick an attorney?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

I found this link (see below) on Avvo that explains how to file for lawful permanent residence through marriage. I am sure we could fill all the forms, double check and file for the AOS however I am also considering hiring an attorney, so that an experienced professional reviews our work and supports us throughout the process.

I am on a limited budget. I found several attorneys around San Francisco, Los Angeles, Sacramento and San Diego on Avvo that have above 9.5/10.0 ratings and 80% of their practice area is immigration with excellent feedback from the past clients. How do I pick one? I am only looking for the ones that charge a fixed fee. Appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

Link: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/filing-for...

1. Michael Charles Schwerin

Answered . You call around and ask. How much do you charge to prepare, file and attend the interview for an Adjustment of Status. What is the filing fee? Is that included in the cost? Are there any other charges? The questions back will be: Is it a straightforward (clean) case or are there problems? Are you here or overseas? What is your current status? If you have problems with your case, it will cost more as there is more paperwork to prepare and more issues to deal with.