Skip to main content

Do I need to hire an attorney to file for AOS through marriage? Everything else being normal, How do I pick an attorney?

San Francisco, CA |

I found this link (see below) on Avvo that explains how to file for lawful permanent residence through marriage. I am sure we could fill all the forms, double check and file for the AOS however I am also considering hiring an attorney, so that an experienced professional reviews our work and supports us throughout the process.

I am on a limited budget. I found several attorneys around San Francisco, Los Angeles, Sacramento and San Diego on Avvo that have above 9.5/10.0 ratings and 80% of their practice area is immigration with excellent feedback from the past clients. How do I pick one? I am only looking for the ones that charge a fixed fee. Appreciate your feedback. Thank you!


+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You call around and ask. How much do you charge to prepare, file and attend the interview for an Adjustment of Status. What is the filing fee? Is that included in the cost? Are there any other charges? The questions back will be: Is it a straightforward (clean) case or are there problems? Are you here or overseas? What is your current status? If you have problems with your case, it will cost more as there is more paperwork to prepare and more issues to deal with.

Michael Schwerin, San Jose, California phone: 408-295-4232 email: Consultation fees, rates and retainers vary based on need and ability to pay.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer