Do I need to hire a new attorney or just stick with the one I have?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I files for divorce in Oct 2011 - no kids , no assets . I was asking for nothing . My husband didn't want divorce because he wanted me to pay for his health ins . He has means to survive , owns properties he flips and a car business he just open in Dominican Republic . ( living there now ) . First court date for trail setting 6 / 2012 was continued cuss husband lied and said there was a prenuptial . next court date not until 2 / 26 / 13 now ( very upsetting ) since then husband attorney fired HIM due to lack of response . my attorney hasn't called me to tell me what is going on with my divorce or send letter - what I know is the court website reads a new trail setting date in April . court date 2 / 26 / 13 reads " NOT HELD - CONTINUED " . Why ? how does the system work ? why am I still married ?

1. Michael Charles Doland

5

Answered . The system sometimes operates to make good lawyers look bad. Nothing you say above seems to be the result of an error of your atorney, although his communications skills could be improved. A written communication from you asking for a more proactive approach to wrap it up should be sufficient, and I see no reason to fire your current attorney and incur the additional expense of a new attorney getting up to speed.

2. Michael Raymond Daymude

5

Answered . I agree with Mr. Doland's comments. Communication is a two-way street. I agree your attorney should have called or sent you an email but, since that has not happened, send your attorney an email or call.

3. Tobie Brina Waxman

2

Answered . You say your attorney hasn't called you. Did you call him/her? Call. Ask questions. Sometimes matters are continued on the court's own motion and not because a party asked for the continuance.