Do I need to hire a new attorney or just stick with the one I have?

I files for divorce in Oct 2011 - no kids , no assets . I was asking for nothing . My husband didn't want divorce because he wanted me to pay for his health ins . He has means to survive , owns properties he flips and a car business he just open in Dominican Republic . ( living there now ) . First court date for trail setting 6 / 2012 was continued cuss husband lied and said there was a prenuptial . next court date not until 2 / 26 / 13 now ( very upsetting ) since then husband attorney fired HIM due to lack of response . my attorney hasn't called me to tell me what is going on with my divorce or send letter - what I know is the court website reads a new trail setting date in April . court date 2 / 26 / 13 reads " NOT HELD - CONTINUED " . Why ? how does the system work ? why am I still married ?

1. The system sometimes operates to make good lawyers look bad. Nothing you say above seems to be the result of an error of your atorney, although his communications skills could be improved. A written communication from you asking for a more proactive approach to wrap it up should be sufficient, and I see no reason to fire your current attorney and incur the additional expense of a new attorney getting up to speed.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

2. I agree with Mr. Doland's comments. Communication is a two-way street. I agree your attorney should have called or sent you an email but, since that has not happened, send your attorney an email or call.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

3. You say your attorney hasn't called you. Did you call him/her? Call. Ask questions. Sometimes matters are continued on the court's own motion and not because a party asked for the continuance.