Skip to main content

Do I need to hire a lawyer to take care of the summons of car accident?

Fremont, CA |

I got a car accident which on June 2012 . I hited the rear bumper of the car but nobody was injuried at that time . After more than half year , I was sued by that guy . Last week , I got a summons which the plaintiff wants to claim $ 500 , 000 on body injury and some other medical expense and job lost wage . I bought insurance from State Farm which covers $ 50 , 000 on property damage , $ 30 , 000 / $ 60 , 000 ( per person / per accident ) on body injury . In this case , the plaintiff's body injury claim is more over than I was insured . My insurance company already hired a lawyer to represent me and they said I don't need to worry about anything about this , just let them take care the whole case . Is the lawyer good enough to fight this kind of case or need to hire my own lawyer asap ? thank you so much ! ! !

Attorney Answers 11

  1. Best answer

    Insurance companies hire the best attorneys who specialize in the defense of auto accident claims. You should feel confident with their choice of counsel and follow the advice of your attorney.

  2. Let your insurance company's lawyer handle it. (This is why you have insurance & pay the high premiums--for times like this.)

  3. Yes your insurance company's lawyer is there to defend you but if you have the means and have assets that could be at risk, I would hire your own lawyer asap. Good luck!

  4. You need to notify your insurance company, they will assign an attorney.

  5. Your insurance company should provide you with legal counsel.

  6. Attorney Berjis' advice is spot on. Put that monthly premium to work for you.

  7. Your insurance company will provide a lawyer.

  8. Notify your insurance Company. Your insurance contract requires the insurance carrier to defend you in matters like this. This is what you pay for. Good luck.

  9. The lawyer hired by State Farm to represent you is your lawyer and owes a duty and loyalty to you, not to State Farm.

    Call up this attorney and schedule a face-to-face meeting at his office to discuss the status of the claim, including your possible exposure to an excess verdict. After you have had this conference, you will be in a position to make further decisions.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  10. If you are certain you have insurance coverage, and they have accepted your representation, you should not have anything to worry about unless there is a valid claim in excess of the policy limits. If you had a minor fender bender, this seems statistically most improbable. If you have concerns with regard to your insurance company's representation of you, you should contact independent counsel for review.

    This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

  11. Let your insurance company defend you. Best of luck.

    This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics