Do I need to hire a lawyer to take care of the summons of car accident?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fremont, CA

I got a car accident which on June 2012 . I hited the rear bumper of the car but nobody was injuried at that time . After more than half year , I was sued by that guy . Last week , I got a summons which the plaintiff wants to claim $ 500 , 000 on body injury and some other medical expense and job lost wage . I bought insurance from State Farm which covers $ 50 , 000 on property damage , $ 30 , 000 / $ 60 , 000 ( per person / per accident ) on body injury . In this case , the plaintiff's body injury claim is more over than I was insured . My insurance company already hired a lawyer to represent me and they said I don't need to worry about anything about this , just let them take care the whole case . Is the lawyer good enough to fight this kind of case or need to hire my own lawyer asap ? thank you so much ! ! !

1. Malosack Berjis

20

1

Answered . Let your insurance company's lawyer handle it. (This is why you have insurance & pay the high premiums--for times like this.)

2. Joshua Thomas Edlow

17

1

Answered . Your insurance company should provide you with legal counsel.

Pro

18

1

Answered . Your insurance company will provide a lawyer.

4. Kevin Coluccio

17

1

Answered . You need to notify your insurance company, they will assign an attorney.

5. David B Pittman

Pro

15

1

Answered . Yes your insurance company's lawyer is there to defend you but if you have the means and have assets that could be at risk, I would hire your own lawyer asap. Good luck!

6. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

15

1

Answered . Attorney Berjis' advice is spot on. Put that monthly premium to work for you.

7. Kevin P. Landry

14

Answered . Notify your insurance Company. Your insurance contract requires the insurance carrier to defend you in matters like this. This is what you pay for. Good luck.

8. John Noah Kitta

10

1

Answered . If you are certain you have insurance coverage, and they have accepted your representation, you should not have anything to worry about unless there is a valid claim in excess of the policy limits. If you had a minor fender bender, this seems statistically most improbable. If you have concerns with regard to your insurance company's representation of you, you should contact independent counsel for review.

9. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

10

1

Answered . Let your insurance company defend you. Best of luck.

10. Stephen Voccola

8

1

Best Answer

Answered . Insurance companies hire the best attorneys who specialize in the defense of auto accident claims. You should feel confident with their choice of counsel and follow the advice of your attorney.

11. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

10

Answered . The lawyer hired by State Farm to represent you is your lawyer and owes a duty and loyalty to you, not to State Farm.

Call up this attorney and schedule a face-to-face meeting at his office to discuss the status of the claim, including your possible exposure to an excess verdict. After you have had this conference, you will be in a position to make further decisions.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.