Do I need to hire a lawyer for my divorce contempt who is in the same county as the court

Does the Divorce attorney on the contempt need to be near the court, i need to decide by wednesday?

Brookline, MA -

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Framingham, MA

You should retain counsel that you feel best understands you, your case, your costs and your needs. They should be familiar with the court and give you a feeling that they can solve your problem as if it were there own.

E. Alexandra Golden

E. Alexandra Golden

Elder Law Attorney - Needham, MA

It's best to hire a lawyer who regularly practices in that court, because the lawyer will be familiar with the quirks of the judges and therefore able to have a good sense as to what a particular judge will do with a particular set of facts. However, that doesn't mean that the lawyer's office has to be in the county where the courthouse is located.

For example, if you live in Brookline, you'll find that most of the local domestic relations attorneys regularly practice in Norfolk, Suffolk and Middlesex Counties. On the other hand, if your case is in Springfield, you'd want to hire a lawyer who regularly practices in the Hampden County court, both because a Brookline lawyer is less likely to be familiar with the quirks of the judges out there and because you really don't want to have to pay for travel time.

James M Lynch

James M Lynch

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Hingham, MA

No, but I agree that knowing judges tendencies on the issues is a plus.