Do I need to hire a lawyer for my divorce contempt who is in the same county as the court

Brookline, MA |

Does the Divorce attorney on the contempt need to be near the court, i need to decide by wednesday?

You should retain counsel that you feel best understands you, your case, your costs and your needs. They should be familiar with the court and give you a feeling that they can solve your problem as if it were there own.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

2. It's best to hire a lawyer who regularly practices in that court, because the lawyer will be familiar with the quirks of the judges and therefore able to have a good sense as to what a particular judge will do with a particular set of facts. However, that doesn't mean that the lawyer's office has to be in the county where the courthouse is located.

For example, if you live in Brookline, you'll find that most of the local domestic relations attorneys regularly practice in Norfolk, Suffolk and Middlesex Counties. On the other hand, if your case is in Springfield, you'd want to hire a lawyer who regularly practices in the Hampden County court, both because a Brookline lawyer is less likely to be familiar with the quirks of the judges out there and because you really don't want to have to pay for travel time.

E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question.

3. No, but I agree that knowing judges tendencies on the issues is a plus.

The answer to this question is for informational purposes only and is expressly not legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship. Readers should not act upon this without seeking advice from professional advisers.