Do I need to hire a lawyer

Bronx, NY |

Hello, I had a loan with CapitalOneAuto from 2007 to 2010. In September of 2010 I was late with my payment but ended up paying it and then suddenly my payment was redeposited back jnto my account 2 days later and my car was repossessed the next day. By the time I realized that the money was redeposited it was too late. My car of 3 years was taken the following day. When I tried to get my car back, I was told that I had to pay 2 months plus tow fees , which was too much at the time and I couldn't pay it. To make matters worse, all of this happened right after I suffered and on the job injury (Sept 16, 2010) and was out of work , and was awaiting Comp benefits, reason how they was able to retrieve the car because I'm usually at work. Now, technically I made the payment. They sent it back.

It was all on agreement that if I made a certain payment , everything would be o.k. I made the payment . They redeposited it back..can they just do that. Can I sue them for this. Is it too late.

Sounds like you will have a tough time as you were late making the payment. The resolution would depend on what the contract says.

The content of this answer has been prepared by Scott Legal Services, P.C. for general informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be considered or relied upon as legal advice. Transmission or receipt of the content of this information does not create, nor is it intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Because each matter involves differing facts, online readers should not act upon the content of this website without seeking legal advice.

I didn't know my options til a friend brought to my attention. They was an automatic payment agreement, and on the day of said agreement, they withdrew the money. Then returned it. I spoke w CapOne customer rep today and she said that they have record of it and my bank also has record of the withdrawal and deposit. I was told to forward them my bank statement so they can give to the legal department. If they was an agreement , and they messed up. What's next , if any?

You probably should consult with an attorney and have the contract reviewed. Depending on what is in the contract you may or may not have some recourse. Problem is the car is probably long gone as you say it was repossessed in 2010. They would have auctioned the car off by now so what relief are you looking for?

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

As for what I'm looking, uh, maybe the value of the car at the time. If I didn't have to lose my car, and I'm still within the limitations , then it's my right to sue.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business