Skip to main content

Do I need to hire a defense attorney?

Beaumont, TX |

Son is 12 years old and he was given a citation for simple assault. A young lady pushed him and he turned and grab her shoulders and shook her and ask why did she do that? He is a honor student, never been in trouble. What can the punishment and do I need to contact a lawyer.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, contact a lawyer. Any assault conviction could hamper someone with a bright future. The punishment range depends in the type of assault with which he's been charged.

Joseph Vinas answers questions on Avvo for general information and not as legal advice. Those answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. Please contact Mr. Vinas at (713) 229-9992 for a FREE CONSULTATION or visit his website at


You should definitely hire counsel to represent him.

This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and informational purposes only. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney with any concerns as each individual case is unique.


A simple assault falls normally in the realm of a Class C Misdemeanor, and on a lot of occasions those cases are handled in municipal and/or jp court. I say that because in those courts the punishments assessed are normally fine based only (but not always); and is the same place where most people handle traffic ticket issues. Nevertheless, you need to retain counsel b/c no matter how small the ramifications an assault on someon's record is never an easy thing to explain away. Furthermore, hiring the right counsel may result in no ramifications whatsoever.


I agree with the advice of other counsel. You need an attorney and it appears to be a case that should either be dismissed or your son should ask for a jury trial. He should not have any blemish on his record regardless of how insignificant the charge is. Do you really want to have to explain this issue in a college application in five years?

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer