Skip to main content

Do I need to have IRS determination letter before I register my non-profit in New York?

Staten Island, NY |

I have incorporated but not registered, not yet fundraising, what do I need to do first?

Attorney Answers 1


The short answer is yes. In addition, you will need to have a NY franchise tax exemption as well and a NY sales tax exemption. There is a good bit of tax exempt documentation required for the 501(c)(3) application and you should have an attorney review your files before submission. This can save you plenty of time in the process and answer most of the questions you have in connection with establishing your 501(c)(3).

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics