Do I need to have a high school diploma by a accredited high school, for the deferred action act?

Asked about 2 years ago - Conyers, GA

I got my diploma when i was 16 from a home school called Continental academy in Florida. I study and passed all my exams . and earned my high school diploma. At the time i didn't know anything about schools being accredited. I recently found out that school is not accredited by the board of education. Will my diploma still be valid to use if i want to apply for the differed action ,I meet all other requirements.

1. James B. Hernan

2

1

Answered . Deferred action is a discretionary process and USCIS reserves the right to make determinations based on the total circumstances of the applicant. While it would be better to have graudated from an accredited institution, the fact that you did not does not necessarily make you ineligible. That being said, I would strongly suggest that you retain an immigration attorney to handle the petition for you to make sure it is presented in the best way possible to maximize your chances of approval.

Jamie Hernan
    Hernan Law Firm
    Immigration
    Telephone: (678) 275-4000
    Free initial consultations

2. Payam Yazdani

2

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with the first answer. Also, if you are not in removal proceedings at the present time applying for deferred action may not be a good idea. Note that deferred action will defer removal (deportation) for two years and will not provide legal status. Please consult with an Immigration attorney before filing.

Payam Yazdani, Esq.
    Bloomfield & Kempf, LLP
    175 South 3rd Street #505 Columbus, OH 43215‎
    (614) 592-7827 www.pyazdani.com

3. Karen-Lee Pollak

1

1

Answered . I would also attach documents about the school and its curriculum. However, we have not received guidance on interpreting any part of the criteria yet.