Do I need to get school records using a Subpoena duces tecum for the records to be admissible in court as business records?

Asked 8 months ago - Port Charlotte, FL

This is a family law case, I filed a supplemental petition to modify custody and time sharing. I'm concerned my evidence will be deemed hearsay by the court. I have a copy of attendance records for my daughter the school gave me, but don't know if I also need to get them via subpoena for them to be admissible at the final hearing.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Brent Allan Rose

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You've confused two complex problems: getting records to court and getting the judge to consider them. For you or someone to bring the records to court, you'll probably need a subpoena duces tecum issued by a lawyer or the clerk. To get the judge to consider the records, they must be admitted into evidence. That's an entire semester of complex rules in law school, so you should talk to a lawyer. If you can't afford a lawyer, go to a local library and research section 90.803 and 90.804 of the Florida Statutes. pay particular attention to 90.803(6) and 90.803(8). You may also need to subpoena someone from the school to verify the attendance records. School boards (and others) often call this person the "custodian of records."

    The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy),... more
  2. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Getting them via subpoena is not going to make the records any different. You need to be able to make the records admissible in court. I suggest you hire an attorney to assist you with this as the rules of evidence are not something that is easily learned.

    You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and... more
  3. William Charles Rosenfelt

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Evidentiary questions and issues are some of the most difficult ones that are faced by laypeople as well as attorneys. Unfortunately, this is not a site designated to teach you how to practice law but rather help with generalized information. It's nearly one-third of a semester of law-school.

    Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

    Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the... more
  4. Steven Parnell Weaver

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Usually the court needs either a certified affidavit from the school stating that the records were created in the ordinary course of business and maintained by a custodian of records and that these are the true and correct blah blah blah. Or, you can subpoena in the custodian of records and have them testify that the records were made during the normal course of business and blah blah. I agree with the other attorney that you may want to consult with a trial attorney for a couple of hours because they may see other potential potholes in your matter. Good luck. Another way is to subpoena her teacher(s) and simply ask how often she misses school.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,440 answers this week

2,970 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,440 answers this week

2,970 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary