Do I need to get operators insurance after I got a DUI?

Bethesda, MD |

I got a DUI in VA in 2010, my license was revoked for a year. When I went back to get my license they told me that I had to get operators insurance even if I didn't own a car. I have since moved to MD & am wondering if the same law applies here?

Your license in Virginia is still revoked.

I do not beleive you need operators insurance in Maryland, however, if the only way you can get your license out of revoked status in VA is to get operators insurance, you may be stuck. Technically, it seems as if you need to revive your VA license and then you can simply apply for a MD license with your valid VA license.

In Maryland, all licensing applications are checked with the National Driver Registry. If your license is suspended, revoked, canceled or refused in this or any other state, you are not eligible for a Maryland driver's license.

The answer provided is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship between Adam Sean Cohen and the user or browser. The opinions expressed are only the opinions of Adam Sean Cohen.

Often, the new state will require that you comply with any requirement of your former state of residence before they will license you.

This answer is my personal opinion, offered for informational purposes only. It is not a legal opinion, nor is it legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship with anyone reading it.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI