Do i need to get my husband's tax return for the last three years when filing for green card after marriage ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

I have the new one 2012, my husband knows the numbers regarding the last couple of years, ( how much he made ) ,but I can't find the old tax returns , should i call IRS and ask for them ? he made enough money to sponsor me and all

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Irene Vaisman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . you don't have to. The last year is enough plus all other supporting documents

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  2. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You are only required to submit the most recent tax year's return. If you want the others for your records and quick access in the future, then contact the IRS or the person who prepared them and get a courtesy copy.

  3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Most recent year is all that is required although we routinely submit the most recent three.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  4. Jeffrey B. Peltz


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You are required to submit the last filed tax return, along with other documents. The affidavit of support form requests information about the your last 3 years of return. If you do not have the tax return, you can call IRS and reqeust a tax transcript. The phone number for the IRS is 1-800-829-1040.

One or more answers have been taken down.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,105 answers this week

2,968 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,105 answers this week

2,968 attorneys answering