Do I need to get an attorney now because I know am under surveillance from the police where I live and a bank was robbed in CA.

Roseburg, OR |

I was in the same area where a bank was robbed and the news paper online said there is a fugitive at large this happen almost a year ago at this point I don't know how to word anything right now am sure that I need a back ground check and I don't know if I should do it.

1. If you think that you are currently under investigation, then yes, absolutely get a lawyer. However, if you think the trouble is in California, then I would suggest talking to a California lawyer to get this resolved. If police contact you, do not speak to them without a lawyer, even if they pressure you. You have the right to remain silent, and that is exactly what you should do. Good luck.

2. If you know you are under surveillance, it's important that you setup a confidential consultation with an attorney soon. Officers and detectives are trained to make you twist your words and they will use any discrepancies to bolster their own suspicions. Bank robbery is the type of offense that almost always carries a lengthy prison sentence. Do not speak to officers without first having an attorney. If they approach you, ask whether you are free to leave. If you are, leave and go speak with a lawyer.

If you are not, they are legally entitled to your name and critical information for the purpose of detaining you but you do not have to answer and questions. Do not let emotion take your rights away - instead calmly respond to each inquiry or statement with something like, "I am not going to speak to you until I have an attorney." If they ask about searches, do not consent and ask for an attorney. Go talk to an attorney - best of luck to you!