Do i need to file that i got in a car accident to the dmv if there was no police report or any ticket/ citation issued?

Asked about 1 year ago - Long Beach, CA

I recently got in a car accident and i was at fault. There was an officer to help, but no police report and i didn't get a ticket or anything close to it. I exchanged information with the others that were involved. The police officer asked if there were injuries and there were none. One of their insurance company called me and said that i have to report it to the dmv. My question is what do i do?

1. David Lee Fiol

9

Answered . You must file a report if there was injury or death or property damage in excess of $750, which is pretty easy to have these days - even a scratched bumper can get you past that threshold. You can file the report yourself - you can get the form on the DMV web site - but you should be reporting this accident to your insurance company and they may file the report for you.

2. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

7

Answered . If your damages to your vehicle or property exceed $750 dollars or if someone was injured then you must report the accident to the DMV. Best of luck.

3. Michael R Crosner

6

Answered . If over $750.00 in property damage to any vehicle or injury or death - if so required to file SRI form with the DMV

4. Albert Lee Crosner

6

Answered . There were no injuries, but there is probably property damages in excess of $750. which requires submittal of the DMV's SR-1 form. This form takes about 5 minutes to prepare and you have most of the necessary paperwork as you previously exchanged information with the others that were involved. The form can be found at the following link:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/sr/sr1.pdf

Please note that the DMV requires that the form be completed and submitted within 10 days after the accident. Hope this helps.

Pro

6

Answered . Review the terms of your insurance policy to ascertain whether this is required.

6. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

3

Answered . The requirement to report auto accidents to the DMV varies by State. Usually the requirement to file depends on the amount of property damage or whether or not anyone has claimed an injury. Call your local DMV office and inquire about the requirement in your State. If you must file, there will be a state form that you should use. Ask your DMV to provide it to you.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.