Do i need to file probate in person?

Asked 4 months ago - Corpus Christi, TX

i live in another state then were my sister died?

i was power of attorney only. filed probate to be executor.

1. John Gus Zgourides

4

Answered . If you are named as executor in your sister's will, and if it is proper to probate her will in Texas, then you can hire a Texas attorney to probate the will for you. You can probably hire an attorney over the telephone.

Some Texas courts may allow you to appear by deposition, but the customary practice is for the applicant to attend a hearing several weeks after the application for probate is filed. At the hearing, the applicant gives a few minutes of testimony, and is then usually appointed as executor. From there, the executor can often fulfill his/her duties through the assistance of the Texas attorney.

A referral from a lawyer you know and trust, to a lawyer that knows this practice area, is best. Be careful of referrals from non-lawyer friends and relatives. Consider using the search function on Avvo or on lawyers.com to find a lawyer. Look for an Avvo Rating of "10", a lawyers.com Peer Review Rating of "AV Preeminent, 5.0", and/or board certification.

2. Maria Sara Lowry

3

Answered . Hire an attorney in the county where your sister lived. Discuss (many will Skype or talk in the phone) with your lawyer whether you need to appear in person. It will depend in part on what court it is in.

3. Kendall Shane Cockrell

1

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys. Most counties in Texas will allow you to move through the process without a personal appearance. Many of us who handle probates in Texa have handled such situations. If your sister was in another state, you may want to re-ask this question listing her location to alert attorneys in that area to answer your question.