Do I need to file legal separation papers in NC?

Asked 10 months ago - Statesville, NC

My estranged husband and I have been separated since November 22 due to him being incarcerated for domestic violence. Do I have to file legal separation papers in the state of NC in order to get a divorce in a year from now? What is the law for this?

1. Kenneth Love Jr.

4

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with Mr Kelso. The key is to live separate and apart with no intention to resume the marriage for a year. Make sure you know when he will get out. If he gets out and moves back in with you, it can affect the year calculation.

2. Lloyd T. Kelso

Pro

4

Answered . You must live separate and apart for one year with the intent to be permanently separated. No papers required.

3. Fred B. Amos II

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with the previous answers, however, your husband's being incarcerated did not necessarily start the clock on a separation. You specifically state that you are separated "due to him being incarcerated for domestic violence." His being arrested and taken off to jail does not equate to moving out with the intention of remaining separate and apart. He may have every intention of coming back to live with you. If you want to draw a line in the sand with respect to being separated, I would suggest you drop him a letter stating in no uncertain terms that he is not welcome back when he gets out and that your intention is to seek a divorce. Write the date on that letter nice and big and keep a copy for your records.

4. Dustin Spencer McCrary

Pro

Answered . You must live separate and apart for one year with the intent to remain separate and apart. After the year, you can file for divorce. It is imperative that you tell your estranged husband of your intent and desire to end the marriage, like Mr. Amos suggested.