Do I need to file I485 adjust for status

Asked over 1 year ago - Knoxville, TN

My parents are "green card holder". We just got approved i-130 petition. I am currently in the us as a f-1 student, and my status has been legal since I entered in the us. I am over 21 unmarried. Can I file an I-485 or I have to file for immigration visa?

1. Gintare Grigaite

6

Answered . You may file for adjustment of status, once your priority date is current. You need to consult with experienced immigration lawyer about the process.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . Sure, 5 or 6 years from now, if you are still in a valid nonimmigrant status.

3. Andrew Chung

3

Answered . You will need to wait for your priority date to become current. Then you may apply to adjust your status with the I-485. You should contact a reputable immigration attorney (you can find one here on avvo) if you have questions about your status, or perhaps bridging any gaps in your status if you anticipate losing f-1 status at any time.

Best of Luck!