Do I need to file I485 adjust for status

Asked over 1 year ago - Knoxville, TN

My parents are "green card holder". We just got approved i-130 petition. I am currently in the us as a f-1 student, and my status has been legal since I entered in the us. I am over 21 unmarried. Can I file an I-485 or I have to file for immigration visa?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Gintare Grigaite

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may file for adjustment of status, once your priority date is current. You need to consult with experienced immigration lawyer about the process.

    Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sure, 5 or 6 years from now, if you are still in a valid nonimmigrant status.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  3. Andrew Chung

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You will need to wait for your priority date to become current. Then you may apply to adjust your status with the I-485. You should contact a reputable immigration attorney (you can find one here on avvo) if you have questions about your status, or perhaps bridging any gaps in your status if you anticipate losing f-1 status at any time.

    Best of Luck!

    The Law Office of Andrew Chung, PLLC. (832) 409 0117. . The statement above is general in... more

Related Topics

Adjustment of status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,855 answers this week

3,058 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,855 answers this week

3,058 attorneys answering