Do I need to file form supplement to form Supplement A I-485?

Asked over 3 years ago - Minneapolis, MN

I am currently in the process of filling for green card for my mother and submitted form I-485. I received response from USCIS requesting additional information and also sent to me a copy of Supplement A to I-485. Do I need to file form Supplement A to I-485 and pay the $1,000? Her I-94 expired about a year ago, although it is still in her passport.

I am a US citizen and my mother entered the US with a tourist visa in November 2009. Form 1-130 was filed a month (April 2010) before her I-94 expired in May 2010 and was approved in Decemer 2010. I-485 sumbitted in March 2011. An A number was assigned with request for additional information and Supplement A to I-485 received in April 2011.

1. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . If you are a US Citizen and your mother entered legally, then the supplement A is not required. The fact that it is being requested indicates that either USCIS made a mistake, or you did by not submitting required evidence or filling the I-485 wrong. Regardless, you must respond to the request.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

2. Lisa Monique Okoh-Brown

Answered . I do not understand why you did not file the I-130 and I-485 all together. In any event with legal entry she does not have to pay the penalty or file form I485A

3. Paul Choquette

Answered . Your mother is considered an immediate relative and entered the United States pursuant to a visa and inspection. As such, form I-485 supplement is not required.

You should consult with an immigration attorney to assist with your response to the RFE.