Do I Need To File For PLIGA After Being Struck As A Pedestrian?

Asked 8 months ago - Northfield, NJ

My girlfriend was struck by a vehicle in a parking lot. She is uninsured and has no driver's license or vehicle, and she does not live with any relatives. The police department, doctors, and her medical insurance company say to go through the driver's insurance company to pay for the medical bills . She is disabled and on SSD. Her medical insurance company is aware of the situation and said they will direct all bills accrued to the driver's insurance. At the neurologist's office today they verified with her insurance company that they are submitting it through the driver's car insurance since he was issued citations. The driver's insurance company says that it all needs to go through PLIGA, is this true or is his insurance company trying to give us the run around?

Pro

4

1

Answered . Whenever you sustain injuries and don't retain a personal injury lawyer, you are going to have problems. Without a lawyer, she'll either #1. Get no money or #2. Get a tiny nuisance settlement. Get a personal injury lawyer to obtain the maximum possible compensation.

2. Michael David Lindner Jr

Pro

3

1

Answered . PLIGA benefits have numerous eligibility requirements, but also include a short deadline to notify PLIGA of a potential claim. Typically, in most car accident/pedestrian accidents, you have 2 years to file a claim against the other driver’s car insurance, but with PLIGA the initial notice of claim must be filed with 180 days of the accident, so you need to get to an attorney, discuss the case with that attorney, and have that attorney send in the required notice, assuming one is necessary. There is a very high likelihood that PLIGA will have to pay these bills

3. William C Popjoy III

2

1

Answered . Your girlfriend should immediately consult with a local personal injury attorney. Your question presents multiple, conflicting issues that should only be addressed by an attorney.

4. Stephen Ross Cohen

2

Answered . I agree with Christian you are not getting any answers you like, it can not get much worse.

5. John Robert Gorman

Answered . Your girlfriend's medical bills are payable by NJ PLIGA (Property Liability Insurance Guaranty Association)---not the other driver's insurance company. She must file a Notice of Claim with NJ PLIGA. Go to its website and download the Notice of Claim, Affidavit of No Insurance, and PIP application forms. The Affidavit must be notarized. Once she completes and files these with NJ PLIGA, it will send her a letter with the claim number, the adjuster's name, and phone #. Give all of that info to all of the accident-related medical providers.