Skip to main content

Do I Need To File For PLIGA After Being Struck As A Pedestrian?

Northfield, NJ |

My girlfriend was struck by a vehicle in a parking lot. She is uninsured and has no driver's license or vehicle, and she does not live with any relatives. The police department, doctors, and her medical insurance company say to go through the driver's insurance company to pay for the medical bills . She is disabled and on SSD. Her medical insurance company is aware of the situation and said they will direct all bills accrued to the driver's insurance. At the neurologist's office today they verified with her insurance company that they are submitting it through the driver's car insurance since he was issued citations. The driver's insurance company says that it all needs to go through PLIGA, is this true or is his insurance company trying to give us the run around?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Whenever you sustain injuries and don't retain a personal injury lawyer, you are going to have problems. Without a lawyer, she'll either #1. Get no money or #2. Get a tiny nuisance settlement. Get a personal injury lawyer to obtain the maximum possible compensation.

  2. I agree with Christian you are not getting any answers you like, it can not get much worse.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

  3. Your girlfriend should immediately consult with a local personal injury attorney. Your question presents multiple, conflicting issues that should only be addressed by an attorney.

  4. PLIGA benefits have numerous eligibility requirements, but also include a short deadline to notify PLIGA of a potential claim. Typically, in most car accident/pedestrian accidents, you have 2 years to file a claim against the other driver’s car insurance, but with PLIGA the initial notice of claim must be filed with 180 days of the accident, so you need to get to an attorney, discuss the case with that attorney, and have that attorney send in the required notice, assuming one is necessary. There is a very high likelihood that PLIGA will have to pay these bills

    Each case is fact sensitive, so all answers should be viewed as general advice only, and should never replace a thorough and in depth consultation with an experienced attorney. Further, an answer should not be seen as establishing an attorney-client relationship.

  5. Your girlfriend's medical bills are payable by NJ PLIGA (Property Liability Insurance Guaranty Association)---not the other driver's insurance company. She must file a Notice of Claim with NJ PLIGA. Go to its website and download the Notice of Claim, Affidavit of No Insurance, and PIP application forms. The Affidavit must be notarized. Once she completes and files these with NJ PLIGA, it will send her a letter with the claim number, the adjuster's name, and phone #. Give all of that info to all of the accident-related medical providers.
    Good luck.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics