Do I Need To File For PLIGA After Being Struck As A Pedestrian?

Asked 6 months ago - Northfield, NJ

My girlfriend was struck by a vehicle in a parking lot. She is uninsured and has no driver's license or vehicle, and she does not live with any relatives. The police department, doctors, and her medical insurance company say to go through the driver's insurance company to pay for the medical bills . She is disabled and on SSD. Her medical insurance company is aware of the situation and said they will direct all bills accrued to the driver's insurance. At the neurologist's office today they verified with her insurance company that they are submitting it through the driver's car insurance since he was issued citations. The driver's insurance company says that it all needs to go through PLIGA, is this true or is his insurance company trying to give us the run around?

1. Yolanda Navarrete

2

Answered . Without knowing any other facts, my answer is that her situation appears to be that NJ PLIGA would pay. An attorney will request payment from all sources possible because there could be exceptions.

2. Michael David Lindner Jr

Pro

2

Answered . PLIGA benefits have numerous eligibility requirements, but also include a short deadline to notify PLIGA of a potential claim. Typically, in most car accident/pedestrian accidents, you have 2 years to file a claim against the other driver’s car insurance, but with PLIGA the initial notice of claim must be filed with 180 days of the accident, so you need to get to an attorney, discuss the case with that attorney, and have that attorney send in the required notice, assuming one is necessary. There is a very high likelihood that PLIGA will have to pay these bills

Pro

1

Answered . Whenever you sustain injuries and don't retain a personal injury lawyer, you are going to have problems. Without a lawyer, she'll either #1. Get no money or #2. Get a tiny nuisance settlement. Get a personal injury lawyer to obtain the maximum possible compensation.

4. David Ian Schoen

Pro

2

Answered . She should immediately consult with an experienced NJ personal injury attorney before she damages her own claims.

5. Joseph Monaco

Answered . Most likely your girlfriend will have to submit a claim to PLIGA, which must be done, including the completion of PLIGA's own application form, within180 days. The striking driver's insurance will defend any claim your girlfriend may bring for pain and suffering etc. If you have any other questions, feel free to call me at 1-855-Joe-Legal. Good luck!