Do I need to file for divorce in Nigeria?

Tucson, AZ |

I am a US citizen currently resident in Nigeria. We have three children staying with my wife in California. I want a divorce. Do I need to file for divorce in Nigerian court or do I need to come back to California to do the filing?

I agree that this question has nothing to do with immigration. Most states have residency requirements of varying periods to file for a divorce. Check with a California family lawyer to see what those legal requirements are.

Scott D. Pollock
    Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C.
    105 W. Madison, Suite 2200
    Chicago, IL 60602
    (312) 444-1940
    fax: (312) 444-1950
    e-mail: spollock@lawfirm1.com
    internet: www.lawfirm1.com

Please visit our renovated website at www.lawfirm1.com, which allows client access to case status, enhanced information on services, and other convenient features.

2. This is not really immigration-related on the face of it and I would recommend you post this question under the Family Law section, particularly searching for California-based divorce attorneys so they can advise you better on things like community property law.

3. You won't be able to file in AZ if your wife with kids is in CA. It's called a jurisdictional issue. If they have been living there for the past 6 months then CA has jurisdiction.