Skip to main content

Do I need to file anything additionally for my children for the VAWA deferred action and green card application?

Houston, TX |

I have received the notice of deferred action, after filing under the VAWA for me and my three kids. Since my ex was a US citizen, we filed all the forms at once. I noticed that on the form for deferred action was noted that I need to apply for my children, even though noted on the form, separately, if I want them to be in the deferred action status. Does this mean, I need to file something additionally, so they receive this as well, even though, I have filed their status change already?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Yes, they need their own applications to get U visa status and to get permanent resident status. They do not get it automatically when you get it.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  2. I agree with my colleague. It would be best for you to speak with an experienced family based immigration attorney. There are many here on or you may find one at Alternatively if you qualify, there are a few local legal aid programs here in Houston that deal specifically with women and VAWA. Ive provided the website address of two such services below. Best of luck!

    The Law Office of Andrew Chung, PLLC. (832) 409 0117. . The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  3. One would need to look at the language you are referring to, before opining on what you should do.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  4. if you filed for VAWA then you can adjust your children as well as your dependents. You should file I-485s for each of your children. You do not have to pay filing fees when you are applying under VAWA nor the biometrics fees. It would obviously be better for you to send in their adjustment applications rather than have them on Deffered Action.

    **Please mark as helpful or best answer if you find this response helpful** MEDINA LAW GROUP PC: EXPERIENCED TEXAS IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS. email:; Phone: (210) 821-4500; Fax: 210-821-4500; 1802 NE Loop 410, Ste 104, San Antonio, TX 78217. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. Furthermore, the content of this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. I apologize in advance for any spelling or typographical errors. MEDINA LAW GROUP PC.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics