Skip to main content

Do I need to file an actual motion for a 7411 deferral? Is this normally just done in open court?

Bay City, MI |

I am handling a 7411 for the first time. I was just wondering what a 7411 petition should include. Can it be filed before sentencing? Should I waive the probable cause hearing etc. and proceed straight to sentencing? The prosecutor has agreed.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


My experience is that it depends on the judge. Some will grant it upon verbal request while others require a written motion. File one to be on the safe side or ask a local criminal defense attorney from the area who is familiar with the practices of your judge.


It almost sounds as if you are a new lawyer from your questions...I hope that is not the case. Assuming you are not a lawyer and you are a defendant who is representing him or herself, consider that Abraham Lincoln once said something similar to the following: “A person who represents himself has a fool for a client.” It is obvious that you have no idea what you are doing and given the gravity of a criminal conviction and potential loss of liberty you may fact at sentencing or while on probation, you are making a grievous mistake in representing yourself. If you do not have the money to hire a lawyer, ask for an appointed attorney. By having a lawyer, even a court appointed attorney, you will at least have someone who knows the answers to the basic questions you are asking. Is your life, liberty, reputation, employability, etc...important to you? If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, get a lawyer ASAP and don't be the fool that President Lincoln was referring to.

I encourage you to use to find a 10.0 rated criminal defense lawyer. Most retained criminal defense attorneys will offer you a free telephone consultation.

Mr. Loren Dickstein, Esq.
10.0 Rated Michigan Criminal Defense Attorney
2000 Town Center, Ste. 2350
Southfield, MI 48075
(248) 263-6800
AV Rated (Preeminent) by Martindale-Hubbell
Super Lawyer – Thomson Reuters
10.0 Rated (Superb) – Avvo Lawyer Ratings

Click on the picture to see the profile of the lawyer answering your question. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


I am confused because there are two issues. First if you should have a probable cause hearing. If you are entering a plea with the prosecutor agreeing to 7411 status you are not entitled to a probable cause hearing (as you are admitting to charges).

I would suggest you ask for a court appointed attorney.


You need to find out how they handle them in that jurisdiction as each jurisdiction is handled differently.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer