Do I need to file a police report?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Marion, IL

I was driving and was turning to get onto the highway. The car in front of me didn't have her turn signal on so I slowed down; I didn't know whether she was turning into the gas station or turning onto the highway as well. I tried to slow down, I had the pedal to the ground and my brakes didn't work. I think I hit her going about 8-10 mph. The screws on my license plate took off paint on her car and that's it, my car is okay. She didn't want to call the cops and she said he brother was a cop so it wasn't a big deal. I've never got into an accident and I'm completely ignorant as to what to do. I gave her ex husband my insurance information and everything I could think of. They didnt give me anything nor have they contacted my insurance. What should I do?

I contacted my insurance agent as soon as the accident happened. The other party did not want to involve authorities and I was completely ignorant to the procedure of a car crash at the time of the incident. I did not get the other parties info; I gave her (ex?) husband all of mine. Do I just tell the police I have no knoweledge other than the car make and model, where her (ex) husband works, and what she looks like?

1. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

3

Answered . Just to be careful, file a police report and get a copy.

In addition, report this to your car insurance company. They will take care of everything for you.

Fortunately, no injuries and no major damage.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

Pro

4

Answered . Always report every accident to the police and your insurance company, or it will come back to bite you.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. Sean Michael Patrick

3

Answered . I agree with Mr. Hoffman. Its better to get on record early as to what actually happened. That way, if the other party begins to change their story the facts have been recorded. I would also agree that you should report it to your insurance company. best of luck.