Do I need to file a police report?

I was driving and was turning to get onto the highway. The car in front of me didn't have her turn signal on so I slowed down; I didn't know whether she was turning into the gas station or turning onto the highway as well. I tried to slow down, I had the pedal to the ground and my brakes didn't work. I think I hit her going about 8-10 mph. The screws on my license plate took off paint on her car and that's it, my car is okay. She didn't want to call the cops and she said he brother was a cop so it wasn't a big deal. I've never got into an accident and I'm completely ignorant as to what to do. I gave her ex husband my insurance information and everything I could think of. They didnt give me anything nor have they contacted my insurance. What should I do?

Marion, IL -

Attorney Answers (3)

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Chicago, IL

Just to be careful, file a police report and get a copy.

In addition, report this to your car insurance company. They will take care of everything for you.

Fortunately, no injuries and no major damage.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client... more
Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Always report every accident to the police and your insurance company, or it will come back to bite you.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755
Sean Michael Patrick

Sean Michael Patrick

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Sacramento, CA

I agree with Mr. Hoffman. Its better to get on record early as to what actually happened. That way, if the other party begins to change their story the facts have been recorded. I would also agree that you should report it to your insurance company. best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.