Do I need to file a I-131 for a Bahamas cruise?

Asked over 2 years ago - Round Rock, TX

Currently on F1 visa, married to a US citizen and just filed I-485. Do I need to also file I-131? The cruise is in one month.

1. J Charles Ferrari

1

Best Answer

Answered . Yes. Leaving the US without advance parole results in the abandonment of your I-485.

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Answered . Generally, a current legal F-1 status permits one to travel abroad and return. However, check with Bahamas authorities whether you may require a visa depending on the country of your citizenship.
    Also, even if you file I-131 Re-Entry permit for your subsequent status now it may take much longer than four weeks to receive the approval of your I-485 and travel with the new adjusted status on the issued I-131. You may seek further clarification from the counsel of record who assisted you prior to departure.