Do I need to file a I-131 for a Bahamas cruise?

Round Rock, TX |

Currently on F1 visa, married to a US citizen and just filed I-485. Do I need to also file I-131? The cruise is in one month.

Yes. Leaving the US without advance parole results in the abandonment of your I-485.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

2. Generally, a current legal F-1 status permits one to travel abroad and return. However, check with Bahamas authorities whether you may require a visa depending on the country of your citizenship.
    Also, even if you file I-131 Re-Entry permit for your subsequent status now it may take much longer than four weeks to receive the approval of your I-485 and travel with the new adjusted status on the issued I-131. You may seek further clarification from the counsel of record who assisted you prior to departure.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

Marriage and prenups topics