Do I need to file a I-131 for a Bahamas cruise?

Asked over 2 years ago - Round Rock, TX

Currently on F1 visa, married to a US citizen and just filed I-485. Do I need to also file I-131? The cruise is in one month.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Yes. Leaving the US without advance parole results in the abandonment of your I-485.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Generally, a current legal F-1 status permits one to travel abroad and return. However, check with Bahamas authorities whether you may require a visa depending on the country of your citizenship.
    Also, even if you file I-131 Re-Entry permit for your subsequent status now it may take much longer than four weeks to receive the approval of your I-485 and travel with the new adjusted status on the issued I-131. You may seek further clarification from the counsel of record who assisted you prior to departure.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more

Related Topics

Adjustment of immigration status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

F1 student visa

The F-1 is the most common visa for students and exchange visitors attending academic institutions in the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,002 answers this week

2,773 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,002 answers this week

2,773 attorneys answering