Do I need to contact an attorney?

Asked over 1 year ago - Elizabeth City, NC

I was in a car accident yesterday. The other driver hit me as he was trying to swerve into the left lane to avoid re-ending me. He told police that I cut him off. I did merge from the left lane to the right but was at least a quarter of a mile before I turned. The passenger in my car who is my co-worker backed my story. My car is less than 3 months old. I wasn't injuried but and have some discomfort in my back. What do I need to do if his company denies a claim?

1. Timothy Shawn Howard

7

Answered . If you continue having back pain and are forced to seek medical treatment because of the automobile accident, I would recommend contacting a personal injury attorney. Most offer free consultations. It may be that you could handle any claim yourself, but if you can get input from someone that litigates personal injury cases for a living, why not do so? If nothing else, it's free advice.

If the property damage claim is denied, you may also need to seek counsel for that.

Good luck with your case,

T. Shawn Howard
    www.maginnislaw.com
    919.480.8526

2. Benjamin Harris Van Steinburgh

Pro

5

Answered . You should contact your insurance company and let them attempt to handle the claim. I would also visit an orthopedist to be certain that your discomfort doesn't develop into something more serious. If your insurance company has difficulty pursuing the claim against the other driver's company, I would then contact an attorney to handle the case.

3. Matthew Charles Price

Pro

4

Answered . You should seek medical treatment for your back, make certain your insurance company has been properly informed about the accident and consult with a local personal injury attorney.

Pro

4

Answered . Seek medical treatment, and retain a local personal injury lawyer to investigate.

5. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

3

Answered . Pain in your back is an injury. It may well get worse.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  6. Matthew C Simon

Pro

1

Answered . Report the accident to your insurance company ASAP. They should handle it. If not, get a lawyer ASAP. If you are injured, seek medical treatment and an experienced personal injury attorney. Good luck.