Do I need to clock in and out (including lunch) if I am an exempt employee?

Placentia, CA |

I am a dental hygienist and required to clock in and out including lunch time. If I work over 8 hrs in a day I do not get overtime, but if I work less than 8 (ie 7.5 hrs) I go to an hourly rate. Is this right? Also, I am told to attend meetings which require me to leave work early, but I do not get paid. Actually I get less pay because we had to clock out and leave work early to attend the meeting. I'm very confused. I work for a big company so there are other hygienist being treated the same way. Please advise.

This sounds like a legally problematic pay practice. In general, I would say that most dental hygienists are probably exempt from overtime pay under California law. However, your case seems different. In order to be exempt, your employer must pay you a "salary." From what you describe, your employer is not paying you a true "salary" because your wages are contingent upon the number of hours you work. I would be very interested in talking with you about this more. You may be entitled to compensation for unpaid overtime. Feel free to call me at (559)221-7777 or through my website at

Any answer provided is based on the limited facts and circumstances explained by the person asking the question. Facts and circumstances not provided may change the answer. Thus, nothing stated by the attorney is intended in any way, shape or form to be construed as legal advice. The attorney is not providing legal advice by answering this question. The attorney will accept no professional responsibility for any answers provided. The attorney has not formed any attorney-client relationship by answering questions. No attorney-client relationship is formed unless and until the attorney has entered into a written and fully executed representation agreement.

Recommended articles about Employment