Do I need to claim a Tax refund,student loan, and Pell Grant for a Civil court fee waiver?

Asked 8 months ago - West Covina, CA

I will be receiving a Tax refund, student loan, and Pell Grant later this year but just filed a fee waiver with trial set for a year from now. Will any count as income?

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

10

Best Answer

Answered . Your income tax refund and student loan money are not income. Your tax refund is for taxes you have paid but are not owed. A student loan is just that, a loan. It is not income.

Pell Grants, scholarships, etc., are not income for tax purposes in CA. However, for purposes of a fee waiver, you may want to include your Pell Grant money. It's only approximately $5,500 and should not put you over the limit to qualify for a fee waiver. You do have a good legal argument, however, that it is not income. Your fee waiver is good until 60 days after your case concludes. Good luck.

2. Shaye Larkin

10

Answered . California does not count student loans or Pell Grants as income. As for a tax refund, that would be a refund of money already earned; it was income when it was earned, not when it was refunded.

3. Christine B. Adams

Pro

8

Answered . None of what you listed is income for purposes of bankruptcy, but you must list all of it on schedule B, F, and the Statement of Financial Affairs. In other word, you must disclose this information.