Do I need to change back to my maiden name?

Asked over 5 years ago - Fulton, NY

will changing it back give me less that I am entitled to recieve from him. 19 years than he leaves for a younger woman

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Ronald Anthony Sarno

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You have a choice of staying with your married name even though divorced and returning to your maiden name. NYS does not divide assets according to the last name you use.
    You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigaton helpful.

    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,018 answers this week

3,381 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,018 answers this week

3,381 attorneys answering