Do I need to bring ORIGINAL documents for my citizenship interview?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Garfield, NJ

I recieved a Check list/Notice what to bring to my naturalization interview.
They're asking for a divorce decree from my previous marriage (which they already have on my file cause I had to file it with my green card application).
I only have a translated copy, no original. Is that going to be a problem at the interview?

1. Sylvia M. Montan

Answered . When appearing for your naturalization interview, the applicant should follow closely instructions issued by the USCIS and follow the checklist notice he/she has received. The applicant should be prepared to present ORIGINAL and an additional COPY of all documents in the list which apply to your case. Copies of documents submitted years ago in connection with other applications are not necessarily part of the file under review.

Generally, for the interview, the applicant is required to bring the following documentation (ORIGINAL AND A PHOTOCOPY OF EACH) to the interview:

1. Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card");
    2. Passport;
    3. Birth certificate;
    4. Marriage certificate;
    5. Divorce decree, if applicable; and
    6. Copies of complete Federal tax returns with earning statements W-2 forms for the past 3 years.

If any document is in a foreign language, it must be accompanied by a certified English translation. Please note that in lieu of an original, the USCIS may accept a Certified copy of the documents. Please note that you should review with an attorney what other acceptable documentation may be required depending on the specific circumstances or issues of your case. Failure to comply with the requirements, may result in delay/denial of the application.