Do I need to bring damage passport I have, which I never used it to enter USA, for my naturalization interview?

Hello I have a Non-US passport which got damaged in 2009 due to flooding in back home. I was able to cancelled it out and get a new one from my home country. I came to USA in 2010 on a new passport and got my green card right away as I came here on basis of marriage to US citizen. Now I am applying for naturalization and I never used that damaged passport to enter US. Do I need to bring that to an interview? Or should I just not mention about it untill IO ask for it?

San Francisco, CA -

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Immigration Attorney - San Diego, CA

No. Only the passport on which you obtained a green card will (might) be of interest during the N-400 interview. The other one is irrelevant.

John Grayson Davidson

John Grayson Davidson

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

I would bring it.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 |ICannHelpYouNow.com | John1Davidson@gmail.com
Tripti Sharad Sharma

Tripti Sharad Sharma

Immigration Attorney - San Francisco, CA

It does not hurt to bring it along to the interview.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Immigration Attorney - Portland, OR

Why wouldn't you want to show it to them? If it has prior US entry stamps, I'd bring it along.

John Robert Egan

John Robert Egan

Immigration Attorney - Honolulu, HI

Bring it and present it if asked. The immigration authorities see a lot of passports with what looks like damage, but actually have been tampered. I think an experienced immigration officer would be skeptical about a rationale for not bringing an old passport based on it being damaged. Here in the U.S. there is a joke about a child explaining why he did not bring his homework to class "because the dog ate it." Better you let them see it if they ask for it.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.