Do I need to bring damage passport I have, which I never used it to enter USA, for my naturalization interview?

San Francisco, CA |
Filed under: US citizenship

Hello I have a Non-US passport which got damaged in 2009 due to flooding in back home. I was able to cancelled it out and get a new one from my home country. I came to USA in 2010 on a new passport and got my green card right away as I came here on basis of marriage to US citizen. Now I am applying for naturalization and I never used that damaged passport to enter US. Do I need to bring that to an interview? Or should I just not mention about it untill IO ask for it?

No. Only the passport on which you obtained a green card will (might) be of interest during the N-400 interview. The other one is irrelevant.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Why wouldn't you want to show it to them? If it has prior US entry stamps, I'd bring it along.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

It doesn't have any US stamps. I will bring it for sure but should I give that passport to officer without being asked for?

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Never give ANYTHING to the officer without being asked. Keep all papers in your lap/bag/briefcase. Again, never put anything on the officer's desk ... unless asked.

Thank you, I will do that.

I would bring it.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 |ICannHelpYouNow.com | John1Davidson@gmail.com

It does not hurt to bring it along to the interview.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Bring it and present it if asked. The immigration authorities see a lot of passports with what looks like damage, but actually have been tampered. I think an experienced immigration officer would be skeptical about a rationale for not bringing an old passport based on it being damaged. Here in the U.S. there is a joke about a child explaining why he did not bring his homework to class "because the dog ate it." Better you let them see it if they ask for it.