Skip to main content

Do I need to apply for a ESTA even if my L1 Visa is Valid, but I am no longer working/living in the US

New York, NY |

Hello, I was working in the US and had a L1 Visa valid for 3 years, but left the US well before at the end of Jan 2012 and moved back to Europe. I would now like to visit US as a visitor and wondered if I should apply for a ESTA waiver? Wondering if my passport shows the L1 Visa still valid and I also apply for a ESTA waiver will this not cause concerns?

Attorney Answers 2


You can still apply

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

Mark as helpful


Either ESTA or a B-1/B-2 visa.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics