Skip to main content

Do I need the father's consent? Is this sole custody or shared?

Miami, FL |

i was granted legal and physical custody of my child and visitation with biological father was set to my discretion in a public place during daytime, do i still need his signature to make any legal decisions?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You need to look carefully at your Final Judgment and see if you were granted sole parental responsibility. In that case, I do not think that you would need his signature or consent in matters involving your child. However, what type of "legal" decision are you making that affects your child? I think that is the bigger question here.

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.



That is the final judgement in my case and it only says legal and physical custody shall remain with the mother visitation to the mothers discretion it says it shall stay in effect until the child is 18 and does not specyfy he word sole anywhere i need to travel out of state and move out of state and the biological father refuses to authorize i dont know if i need his permision since he does not appear on birth cert. And has been stablish as father before final judgement where states i have legal and physical cuastody and he will see the child to my discretion. Im really confussed.

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis


great counsel.


From what you have said in your comments in addition to your question the answer is most likely not because you have sole physical and sole legal custody, just doublecheck and take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.



Thank you so much you have been great help.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer