Do I need separate bank account and separate accounting for the DBA/Fictitious name?

San Jose, CA |

Hi, I have an S-Corp called ABC Inc.
Plus I have a DBA/Fictitious name as XYZ Tech.

Do I need separate accounting for these two?
DO I need separate filing of legal requirements for these two?
Do I need separate bank account for these two?

Thanks so much.

You do not need a separate accounting for tax purposes because the S-Corp will be the primary filing entity. You could have a dozen DBAs associated with the S-Corp, but they will all be reported for tax purposes via the underlying S-Corp. You may, however, want to separate them internally for your own management purposes. "DBA's" are filed with the county in which you will be doing business, whereas your incorporation is handled by the Secretary of State's office. Banking is similar to the tax issue above-one account in the name of the corporation should suffice, but the bank will want a copy of the fictitious name filings, particularly if you want those names on you bank accounts, checks, etc.

This is general information and not meant as specific legal advice for any particular situation.

Thanks so much. As DBA is filed with county - are their any annual filing needs for any documents to the county? Thanks so much.

David William Leonard

David William Leonard

The DBA filings are usually good for multiple years. You may need other permits at the county level if you are, for example, in the food service industry. A business attorney can give you a complete list for your business and location.

As a pure straight legal analysis, I would say no. In terms of what your bank requires, you are probably going to have to show them a copy of your filing of a fictitious name statement, and include them as a name on the account so they can still use your same account. There is no legal problem with this, and I would advise that if you wanted to proceed with this, you move forward in this fashion unless you have some other reason you want to segregate the accounts.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

A separate accounting is allowed but not required.
The filing of the DBA must be renewed every five years.
A separate bank account is allowed but not required.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Well, what you need to do and what you should want to do may be two different issues. On the assumption that the dba is a business operating under the corporation [not a separate business all together] I would suggest that you have two separate checking that you lower the chance of someone charging you with commingling funds and seek to attach the assets of both a more robust conversation with an attorney of your choice would be helpful and may more fully answer the question.
By Grace...
Shawn Jackson ESQ. (707) 584-4529
Business Development Attorney EMAIL:
For Business Plans, visit
For Business Development Classes, visit
For New Businesses & Start-Ups, visit
For Low Cost Business Dispute Mediation Services, visit

No communication resulting herein shall create an attorney-client relationship unless a separate retainer agreement is signed by attorney and client. The information provided neither is legal advice nor is it conveyed in the course of an attorney-client relationship, but is intended merely as a general overview with regard to the subject matter covered. You should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel such as any attorney in this office in a subsequent email communication (agreement) and the formation of an attorney client relationship.

Tax law topics