Do I need my marriage certificate to file a divorce? Do I need my marriage certificate to file for an I-751?

West Palm Beach, FL |

I got married to an US citizen in my native country. My marriage was traditionally arranged. After marriage I leaved with his in his parents house in my native country. I came to know my Husband is Schizophrenic and Bipolar. He takes risperidone and valproic acid. He and his parents emotionally abused me. And he hit me. they tried to stop me from continuing my education. Finally They kept all my legal documents including my marriage certificate, my birth certificate and my green card, social security and my passport. They refused to give them back. I have lots of pictures to support my wedding and I can manage affidavits from my friends and family. I managed to make a new passport and apply for 1-90 and move to USA . My husband stays in my native country with his family.

You can easily obtain a duplicate marriage certificate. Sounds like a decent waiver based on abuse I-751 case. I would certainly speak to an experienced immigration attorney.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Thank you so much for your reply. I do not know the registry office's name and location as my in-laws dealt with it. Can i get a duplicate marriage certificate from any registry office?

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

wait, I am re-reading your question, you were married back home. It may depend on how your country works. Ask around with family and friends or call around to the appropriate agency back home

Yes, I was married back home. Thank you for your advice. I'll ask my family back home to ask the appropriate agency. Can I divorce him from USA without my marriage certificate? and do I need my marriage certificate to apply form I-751? Thank you so much! Also I'm residing in Florida. Does the law vary from state to state?

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

you don't need the marriage certificate for the divorce. whether you can or can't depends on the laws of your state (jurisdiction and you will need to speak to a local attorney about that). You will need it for the I-751

Thank you so much for your help Ms Vaisman. I really appreciate it : )

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

You are welcome and I really do wish you the best of luck!

Yes you do.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.

No

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Thank you for replying. Can you please explain me in detail? I have learnt I need a divorce certificate first to apply form I-751. Can I give him a divorce from Florida with out a marriage certificate?

Jeffrey Adam Devore and Marianne Rahm our experienced immigration attorneys in West Palm Beach. You can read more about Jeffrey on AVVO

The above is for informational and educational purposes only, does not establish an attorney client relationship, and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. The only legal advice offered is to have this matter reviewed and discussed by a competent attorney of your own choice.