Do I need my husbands signature when i file for divorce in Nebraska

Asked over 2 years ago - Omaha, NE

Both parties have lived in Nebraska for more than one year.We are currently Legally Seperated.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ryan Douglas Caldwell

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You will file the divorce individually. So your husband would not sign the actual Complaint for Dissolution of Marriage. After your case is filed, you have two ways to go: 1) You and your husband can sign off on a divorce decree or 2) if he does not respond, you can have a default hearing and if your decree follows the law, then the judge will sign off on it.

    Since you have already had a Legal Separation Decree, you probably want an attorney to help you through the process, because it may be a situation where the Separation Decree would be used in your divorce case.

    This should not be considered legal advice, but rather simple information. You should consult a lawyer to review... more
  2. Brendan Michael Kelly


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your soon to be ex does not have to sign off. You need to have him served and then he can respond if he wants to. Call me I would be happy to help.

  3. Ashley Lee Albertsen

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You have the option of asking that he voluntarily appear, but if he would not be willing to do that then you would file for divorce and have him served.

    I am a licensed attorney in the state of Nebraska. However, the advice I give here is not to be taken as legal... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,357 answers this week

3,329 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,357 answers this week

3,329 attorneys answering